Well, if you’re one of my close friends in Australia, Andrew’s poor sister/Mum, or my Mom/Sister/Dad/Cousin’s Wife…you’d probably already had enough wedding crap thrown at you.
But, apparently people get excited about these things. I get why people get excited about them…but my excel spreadsheet is making my brain hurt.
So what have we done to get ourselves into full-throttle wedding brain?
1. I scoured etsy.com and started favourting things that I liked…and ordered a couple of things as well.
2. I got back onto the pinterest band-wagon and started pinning...making a ‘Gay-Pope’ Wedding board and inviting friends along to have a look..or a scream because there’s lots of pins on it. (sidenote: Andrew’s last name is Pope…mine Gay…Gay-Pope wedding it is)
3. Secured a location that my family could assist with. We have originally planned to have our wedding here, in Bend, Oregon, but we just couldn’t get everything to work. Too far away and we don’t have enough money to lock down an inclusive resort wedding. So it’s gonna be in a barn baby! –> see the RED A…that’s where it is.
4. Scour internet for photographers that you like..then pick one. YEAH!! We’re excited to have her on board (well, she’s almost on board..gotta send a contract in)
5. Call catering companies, especially ones that your picky Mom has used..and liked, and tell them that you want them.
6. Decide if you want a DJ or not. I have thought about this a lot. I have a mixed-bag of people in my family..some who will NOT dance and some who’d totally dance. We decided to go with this couple because they do all of the on-the-day planning, organisation of time/schedules, do activities/entertainment when we’re getting photos taken…which is SO what I want. I don’t want my family having to organise anymore more than I’m already asking them to.
7. Send pins from pinterest to your Dad and ask him to make stuff for you.
8. Have a moral internal dialogue about if using Walmart.com to get really affordable 1/2 pint canning jars is ok. Then buy them..the deals make your excel spreadsheet happy.
9. Praise the ground Skype walks on..it makes calling overseas easier
10. Oh..and start prepping/planning/organising your engagement party.
Ours is 25 May 2014 in South Australia to be close to Andrew’s family. We’re super excited as this will be most likely the ‘wedding’ for a lot of his close friends and family. We’re gonna have both Australia and American twists to it. Stoked.
11. Go to stationery shop and realise that they don’t have 5×7 envelopes..go home pay double the cost to mail engagement invites out, erase all 5×7 etsy invites that you liked. lol. lesson learnt.
12. Make an excel spreadsheet with guest list and proposed budget tabs. Then colour code everything, organise your boxes to add and subtract and scare you with the prospect of saving and spending all that money. Overbudget so you’re happy when you ‘save’ money from the original..and panic when flights cost more than you thought. The usual financial stressing.
13. make a wedding website and put it on FB and then let the comments roll in that you’re a crazy nutter who’s way too organised.
I still haven’t looked at dresses..no that’s actually a lie. I have gone into two local shops, started having heart palpitations and sweaty palms..then walked out. lol.
So that’s wedding brain for the first month of being engaged. How exciting is that? Lots decided upon and stacks more to still do, but it’s fun and we’re excited.